First of all, no comments on my bad transplanting technique, if you please. It’s the result of growing seeds in re-purposed take-out containers. I realized much later that separating the babies was going to be impossible. So, I plopped them down as is. Next year, I will definitely invest in some biodegradeable pots for seedlings. Plus, I think it’ll be good for experimenting with succession planting.
Anyway, let’s get down to the garden update!
These little things are zucchini! I’m so happy. I had two packets of zucchini seeds, one I bought last year of a faster growing variety and one that my mom’s friend gave me. I planted the ones I was given just to see if they would grow – the packet was from 2008-2009. I figured that my worst case scenario was being left with dead seeds and then planting the faster growing variety later. I put down four seeds and two came up. I suspect that I’ll snip down the one on the right next week. Zucchini needs a lot of space to grow, but I am waiting to see which of the seedlings ends up being the stronger plant. (err, yes there is a small hole in the dirt behind the right seedling. I moved my plant nanny further out before any roots could start growing around it, and did not refill the hole before taking the picture.)
The little plant in the background toward the left is a random seedling of bak choy. I didn’t know where else to put it. I figure that it’ll grow up before zucchini does, so I stuck it in the same pot. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see how fast they both grow.